Saturday, November 14, 2009

Happy Birthday Ma'am!

Okay, so we all missed it. She was under the radar, slipped right past us; played like it was no big deal and turned one year older without so much as a peep.

I don't know how it could have happened, but somehow, in the confusion of the day we missed that Maj. Daneker said goodbye to 28 and said hello to, what is now ma'am? Oh, that's it, 29!

She was a little sneaky about her big day and never said a word about it, though she probably thought at least one of us would remember, we didn't. She usually puts the birthdays for the month up on the calendar for everyone to see. She is, after all, the keeper of the unit calendar. But, mysteriously, hers was not there for all to see and out of ignorance and a lack of the First Sergeants planning, we missed her special day.

In spite of our folly though, I just want it to be said that we all wish you a happy birthday with many happy returns.

I know the picture here is pretty blurry, but it really captures her the way she is. She is always moving, always has a party on her mind and almost always has a smile to boot. Almost is the key word, I've seen a few days when the smile goes away and I'll be honest those aren't very happy days for me. But, usually the smile returns and so does the levity.

Sorry we missed it ma'am. As a belated gift, I'll take one day off our countdown calendar tomorrow, that should bring a smile to your face.

3 comments:

MAJ D said...

You are too kind. Thanks for the countdown! We might actually finish this. :)

David M said...

The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the blog post From the Front: 11/16/2009 News and Personal dispatches from the front and the home front.

LTC Mike Walton (settummanque the blackeagle) said...

Aww...I missed your birthday, Annmarie!! I hope that your day was special, even though you're there and I'm...well....not here...not where you thought I might be...(I'm in Germany on a tour supporting EUCOM until the end of the fiscal year...two more years before retirement!!)

Happy Birthday!!!
blackeagle